Many of us deal with eyelash pain from time to time. But, did you know the pain normally comes from the area beneath your eyelashes?
Your eyelashes are actually unable to feel pain because they’re made of dead cells consisting mainly of keratin.
Instead, the base of your lash area is covered in nerves, and when these nerves sense pain, it can truly feel like your eyelashes are hurting.
Why do my eyelashes hurt? Keep reading to have all your questions answered, along with how to treat eyelash pain at UKLASH.
Sore outer corner of eyelid: Why does my eye feel bruised when I blink?
Many conditions can cause eyelash pain, so it’s important to take note of your other symptoms. Possible causes include:
The most common and interesting causes of sore eyelashes include:
A common cause is ingrown eyelashes or trichiasis. The eyelashes grow toward the eye and rub your eye and inner eyelid.
- watery eyes
- foaming in the eye
- sensitivity to light
- crusty eyelids or eyelashes
With eyelash ptosis, the eyelashes on your upper eyelid bend downward. The lashes touch the surface of your eyes, resulting in irritation.
The condition can also affect your lower eyelid. In this case, the eyelashes bend upward and brush against your eye. This is called lower eyelid lash ptosis.
The irritation may be painful. Other symptoms include:
- feeling like something is in your eye
- floppy eyelids
- mucus discharge
Distichiasis, or double eyelashes, is a rare condition characterised by two rows of eyelashes. A genetic mutation commonly causes it, but it can also be caused by trauma or inflammation.
The extra lashes irritate the eye, which might feel like eyelash pain. You may also have:
- drooping eyelids (ptosis)
- sensitivity to light
Ingrown Eyelashes 101: How to avoid
To avoid conditions that cause eyelash pain, follow these lifestyle practices:
- Remove crusts on your eyelids every day. Use mild soap and water.
- Wash your hands before handling contact lenses. Avoid wearing them if your eyes are already irritated.
- Use hypoallergenic eye makeup. If a product causes irritation, stop using it.
- Never share your eye makeup with other people.
- Throw away eye makeup after 3 months.
- Wash off your makeup before going to sleep with an eyelash wash
- Use artificial tears to reduce dry eyes and irritation.
- Limit or avoid using eyelash extensions.
Want to learn how fast eyelashes grow? Check out our article on our UKLASH blog now.
Why do my eyelashes hurt? The Roundup
So, now that you've discovered the reason why your eyelashes hurt and how to prevent them, we have you covered with healthy hair products, right here at UKLASH.
We have +40,000 testimonials from around the globe for our hair serums, brow serums, and lash serums and how they have encouraged hair, lash and eyebrow growth. Not only restoring healthy hair but more importantly, your confidence too.
Discover the best hair supplements from UKLASH!
- In a world where the desire for luscious lashes is undeniable, lash serums have emerged as a game-changer, offering a solution for those who crave the allure of length without...
- Out of all the possible Black Friday beauty deals you could score this season, our beauty bundles available at UKLASH are what you should have your eyes on this season. ...
- Are you tired of battling those stubborn black circles that linger beneath your eyes, no matter how much sleep you get? If you’re wondering how to cover dark circles, look...
- Your eyebrows are a defining feature of your face, capable of enhancing your natural beauty and boosting your self-confidence. Well-shaped eyebrows can do wonders in framing your eyes and balancing...
- Eyebrows play a pivotal role in framing the face and expressing one's individuality. However, many of us have experienced the all-too-familiar mishap of over-plucking, waxing gone wrong, or even the...
- Introducing your ultimate guide for our UKLASH customers for debunking myths and uncovering the truth behind your favourite beauty and self-care products. In the age of social media, it's easy...
- So, you wish your eyebrows were thicker and shaped perfectly? Well, if you’re looking for how to get thicker eyebrows, you’ve come to the right place. You can include UKLASH...
- The trend cycle of eyebrows is one of varying extremes, from pencil-thin brows to fluffy brows and beyond, one thing always stays the same; healthy eyebrows will always be in...